Saturday 29 August 2009

Kalamkari hobo bag

Ok, so this has been my new friend since June. I actually bought this baby for Rs. 590 in Kurta Company. I found this new store in Cosmos Mall near to my home. By the way, Cosmos is near ITPL Road in Bangalore. Its a hobo bag made of kalamkari fabric.

Kalamkari is either type of hand-painted or block-printed. Its a very old art which dates back to the ages of Golconda sultanate. The cotton fabric gets its glossiness by immersing it for an hour in a mixture of resin and cow milk. Contours and reasons are then drawn with a point in bamboo soaked in a mixture of jagri (might be jaggery) fermented and water; one by one these are applied, then the vegetable dyes. After applying each color, the Kalamkari is washed. Thus, each fabric can undergo up to 20 washings. Various effects are obtained by using cow dung, seeds, plants and crushed flowers. I personally do not know how these are made. (Courtesy: Wiki)


The only disadvantage is the colour of bag catches easily to anything it comes in contact with, especially if you wear pastel colours, you have to be more cautious. That too, red being a fast colour, my jute wallet was totally ruined, but I can excuse...I especially like the gold colour floral motif on the front side. I think it added more grace to it. I didnt like the K/Co. stamp in the front part. It could have stayed somewhere backstage so the bag could look more graceful. Never mind...monkey mind...

I always felt that I can never go wrong with kalamkari as I am an ardent fan of that art. I even own a couple of kalamkari salwars.

The hobo bag is a style thats typically large and characterized by a crescent or half-moon shape and a long strap to wear over the shoulder. I always like hobo as it has more room than a regular bag. Might be because of the shape whatever...I love this...........mmmuaaaaaa..........

No comments:

Post a Comment